IT Systems Administrator – Portsmouth – Support, Design, DevOps, Software
My client requires an experienced Systems Administrator to design, support and optimise its largely MS Windows based systems and related services. The team will embrace a DevOps philosophy working closely with the software development teams to ensure repeatable, successful deployments as well as 100% availability and high performance for the core customer-facing systems. This role includes designing, installing, configuring, administering and fine-tuning Windows operating systems and applications.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated and customer focused individual, experienced in providing support for many Windows solutions. They will have particular experience in High Availability Solutions including MS Windows, IIS, Active Directory, DFS, and DNS. They will have hands on experience of running physical Servers and SANs as well as using virtual machines and public cloud services such as Azure, AWS or Google. The candidate should also have a good understanding of Scripting & automation and TCP/IP Networking including the operation of Firewalls.
My client operates a 24×7 services and this role is required to be available to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
- Management and maintenance of Servers and systems supporting the business.
- Management of associated storage, Firewall, load balancing and network infrastructure.
- System performance analysis, tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Work closely with the data centre team (3rd party) to ensure 100% service availability of our equipment hosted at the data centre.
- Be available to provide out of hours support for core systems when required.
- Participate in out of office hours planned maintenance work.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems.
- Logging all work carried out according to agreed procedures.
- Run the monitoring tools to ensure timely notification of issues as well as providing stats for pro-active capacity planning.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible vulnerabilities and intrusions.
- Ensure all systems are regularly patched with relevant security updates.
- Maintain routine system backups.
- Standardisation and automation of server and VM deployments.
- Design and development of both ad-hoc and routine scripts used to improve the reliability and repeatability of systems administration tasks.
Standards, planning and documentation
- Recommend and execute modifications to systems to improve efficiency and scalability.
- Write and maintain service documentation for each designated service.
- Conduct research on hardware and software in support of procurement and system development efforts.
- Develop and maintain training materials and systems documentation for educating end users and new IT staff.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automate approaches for system administration tasks.
- Contribute to environment Change Request meetings to ensure 100% system availability.
- Review the design and architecture of existing systems and services to improve functionality, scalability, security and resilience.
- Participate in design and implementation of new systems.
If this interests you, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org